Nov. 27, 2012
The Iowa Association of Electric Cooperatives to hold 70th annual meeting
This week, the Iowa Association of Electric Cooperatives will hold its 70th annual meeting. Nearly 500 electric co-op representatives will meet at the Sheraton West Des Moines on Thursday, Nov. 29 and Friday, Nov. 30, to get the latest information on industry trends, perspectives on the state’s and nation’s economy and latest political election, and energy efficiency trends. Attendees include locally elected directors, managers and key staff from 42 electric cooperatives, which as a whole; provide electricity to approximately 650,000 Iowans in all 99 counties across the state.
Key topics include:
• National Rural Electric Cooperative Association’s (NRECA) perspective: Pat Mangan, director of governance for the NRECA, will discuss the importance of ongoing education for electric cooperative directors as they serve on the board.
• The Efficiency Dilemma: David Owen, staff writer for The New Yorker, will share his opinion on conventional approaches to energy conservation, which argues that less is more: less waste leads to more consumption by making consumption cheaper.
• Venture Awards Presentation: The Iowa Area Development Group honors innovative companies that have a positive impact in their communities.
• Engagement Opportunities – a Panel of Rural Electric Managers: Hear from four electric cooperative managers on how they have successfully engaged with key audiences to educate them on issues impacting their co-op, including: member-consumers, employees, elected officials and local community groups.
• The World According to Thomas Barnett – a Grand Strategist’s Point of View: New York Times best-selling author and public speaker, Dr. Thomas P.M. Barnett, will share his insights on global conflict and globalization evolution of the next several decades.
• Post-Election Outlook: David Wasserman, house editor of The Cook Political Report, a non-partisan publication that provides analysis of Presidential, U.S. Senate, House and gubernatorial races for its subscribers, will provide his insights on the 2012 election.
• Uncommon Valor: The Importance of Teamwork, Sacrifice and Leadership: Salvatore (Sal) Giunta, a native of Clinton, Iowa, Medal of Honor winner and retired Army Staff Sergeant, will share his story of courage and selfless leadership during a hostile ambush in Afghanistan in 2007.
When: Nov. 29 – 30, 2012 9 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. (Thursday) 9 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. (Friday)
Where: Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel
1800 50th St.
West Des Moines, IA 50266
Spokespersons/Topics: A number of spokespersons are available for interviews. To coordinate, please contact Joelle Kirchhoff, 515.727.8945 (office), 712.789.1687 (mobile) or email@example.com
Joelle Kirchhoff, 515.727.8945, firstname.lastname@example.org