IAEC

It's Electric Safety Month.

May 18, 2007

-- Remember electricity and water do not mix. Keep all electrical products away from water.

-- Never reach into water to retrieve an appliance that has fallen in it without first turning off the power source at the panel board and then unplugging the appliance.

-- Repair or replace an appliance that repeatedly blows a fuse, trips a circuit breaker, or if it has given you a shock.

-- Unplug a toaster or toaster oven before using a knife or fork to remove a stuck slice of bread or bagel.

-- Turn off electrical products if the cord overheats.

-- Do not use appliances such as hairdryers, toasters, or cordless phones (except in an emergency) during an electrical storm.

-- Only use space heaters to supply supplemental heat. Keep space heaters at least three feet away form any combustible material such as bedding, clothing, draperies, furniture, and rugs. Never use an extension cord on a space heater.

-- Never place a halogen floor lamp where it could come in contact with draperies, clothing, or other combustible materials. Halogen floor lights operate at much higher temperatures than a standard incandescent light bulb. Consider replacing halogen lamps in high traffic areas where they may be knocked over.

« Back

 
Iowa Association of Electric Cooperatives
8525 Douglas, Suite 48
Des Moines, Iowa 50322-2992
T.515.276.5350   |   F.515.276.7946
Siteviz Premier
© 2014 Iowa Association of Electric Cooperatives. All rights reserved.