Apprentice or Journeyman Lineman - Midland Power Cooperative, Jeffferson
- Full Time
Midland Power Cooperative is actively seeking an Apprentice or Journeyman (preferred) linemen to join our team at our Jefferson, IA service center. This position would be under the direct supervision of a Working Foreman. The candidate for this position is required to live within 20 minutes driving distance of 1005 E Lincoln Way, Jefferson, IA 50129 for on-call or after-hours standby purposes. Performs numerous duties including construction, maintenance and repair of overhead and underground distribution and transmission lines and related facilities, plus service work and other related and assigned duties. The successful candidate will have completed an accredited Powerline program with training in both overhead and underground installation and maintenance.
Midland Power is a member-owned electric distribution cooperative located in central Iowa currently serving over 12,800 meters in parts of 17 counties. This position would be located in Jefferson, IA, which has excellent schools including a newly built high school, a local hospital, bike trail, scenic historic bell tower, casino, many restaurants, and more. Additional information can be found by visiting Midland Power’s website at www.midlandpower.coop.
- Punctual and regular attendance. Normal working hours are 7:30 AM - 4 PM, Monday through Friday.
- Is periodically required to perform the functions of an on-call person for weekend or after-hours standby.
- Frequently constructs underground and overhead transmission and distribution lines which includes, but is not limited to, digging pole and anchor holes, framing poles, setting poles and anchors, stringing, sagging, and connecting conductor, installing pad mount gear and underground conductors, and related tasks of new construction on energized and de-energized lines.
- Frequently performs various duties related to customer service including making service changes, troubleshooting service outages, disconnecting and connecting services, voltage testing and locating underground lines.
- Often maintains both underground and overhead electrical system by replacing damaged transformers, breakers, regulators, conductor, insulators, meter loops, poles, switching gear and related equipment on energized and de-energized lines.
- Performs related duties to line construction that includes accounting for materials used, stocking trucks, loading and unloading materials, and inspecting distribution and transmission line for necessary maintenance.
- Recommends measures to improve construction and maintenance methods, equipment performance, and quality of products used.
- Submits all required paperwork as needed to comply with company rules and government regulations.
- Operate and maintain line trucks, pickups, and underground cable locators, underground fault locators, all-terrain vehicles, snow-machines, chainsaws, Bucket / Digger Derrick Trucks and other motorized equipment. Must also be able to trace underground cable and operate fault locating equipment.
- Is required to submit to a random drug test per DOT CDL requirements.
- Follow all OSHA rules and regulations.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of an accredited Powerline program with both overhead and underground installation and maintenance is required.
- Trained in pole top and bucket rescue.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Class A - Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with appropriate endorsements is required.
Must be able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, staking sheets, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. The ability to use PCs, Microsoft Office programs and iPads is required. Must also be willing to learn industry/company software. Must have an effective working knowledge of the National Electrical Safety Code. Must be able to operate a volt-ohm, amp, rotation, and phasing, etc. meters. Must know, understand, and apply all OSHA and company regulations and safety rules necessary to perform the job. Must be able to accurately read and interpret staking sheets and maps. Must possess specialized abilities and skills to allow the employee to climb poles and towers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to climb, balance, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must lift and/or move on a daily basis up to 50-75 pounds. May occasionally need to lift and/or move up to 75-100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in high, precarious places and in outside weather conditions and is regularly exposed to risk of electrical shock. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to vibration. The employee occasionally is exposed to an environment with fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee frequently works on rugged terrain. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
All applicants who are selected for a position within Midland Power Cooperative are required to pass a pre-employment physical examination, background check, motor vehicle record check, and drug test when employed.
TO APPLY: Click here
Midland Power Cooperative provides its full-time employees with a comprehensive benefits package which includes: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurances, sick leave, vacation, holiday pay and 401K. Midland Power Cooperative is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
Position will remain open until filled.