Apprentice/Journeyman Linemen - Midland Power Cooperative, Jefferson
- Full Time
LOCATION: Jefferson, IA (Service Center)
REPORTS TO: Line Foreman
Midland Power Cooperative is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Apprentice/Journeyman Lineman. This position is located in our Jefferson, IA Service Center. At Midland Power Cooperative, you will put your skills to good use as an important member of our team.
Midland Power Cooperative is a member-owned electric cooperative, in business since 1937, providing electric service to over 12,800 meters in parts of 17 counties in central Iowa. The cooperative has locations in Boone, Humboldt, Iowa Falls, and Jefferson.
This position would work under direct supervision of a Working Foreman. Performs numerous duties including construction, maintenance and repair of overhead and underground distribution and transmission lines and related facilities, plus service work and other related and assigned duties. The successful candidate will have completed an accredited Powerline program with training in both overhead and underground installation and maintenance. Apprentice linemen applicants will be hired as 1,000-hour employees with the potential to be hired full time based on performance. Candidate must also be willing to reside within 20 minutes of their reporting service center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Punctual and regular attendance.
- Frequently constructs underground and overhead transmission and distribution lines which includes, but is not limited to, digging pole and anchor holes, framing poles, setting poles and anchors, stringing, sagging, and connecting conductor, installing pad mount gear and underground conductors, and related tasks of new construction on energized and de-energized lines.
- Frequently performs various duties related to customer service including making service changes, troubleshooting service outages, disconnecting and connecting services, voltage testing and locating underground lines.
- Frequently maintains both underground and overhead electrical system by replacing damaged transformers, breakers, regulators, conductor, insulators, meter loops, poles, switching gear and related equipment on energized and de-energized lines.
- Performs related duties to line construction that includes accounting for materials used, stocking trucks, loading and unloading materials, and inspecting distribution and transmission line for necessary maintenance.
- Recommends measures to improve construction and maintenance methods, equipment performance, and quality of products used.
- Submits all required paperwork as needed to comply with company rules and government regulations.
- Other duties may be assigned.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Is required to perform the functions of an on-call person for weekend outage restoration standby.
- Operate and maintain line trucks, pickups, and underground cable locators, underground fault locators, all - terrain vehicles, snow-machines, chainsaws, Bucket / Digger Derrick Trucks and other motorized equipment. Must also be able to trace underground cable and operate fault locating equipment.
- Is required to submit to a random test per DOT requirements.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in high, precarious places and in outside weather conditions and is regularly exposed to risk of electrical shock when safety precautions aren’t taken. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to vibration. The employee frequently works on rugged terrain.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ALL-INCLUSIVE. AN EMPLOYEE WILL ALSO PERFORM OTHER REASONABLY RELATED BUSINESS DUTIES AS ASSIGNED BY IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR AND OTHER MANAGEMENT AS REQUIRED.
MIDLAND POWER COOPERATIVE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REVISE OR CHANGE THE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AS THE NEED ARISES. THIS JOB DESCRIPTION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A WRITTEN OR IMPLIED CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT.
Midland Power Cooperative is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Employee must complete or has completed an accredited Apprenticeship program with both overhead and underground installation and maintenance.
- Trained in pole top and bucket rescue.
- Must be able to use a tablet and smartphone and be able to learn applicable industry software.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, staking sheets, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute ratio and percent.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Class A - Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with appropriate endorsements. (Required prior to employment)
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Must have an effective working knowledge of RUS construction specifications and the National Electrical Safety Code.
- Must be able to operate a volt-ohm, amp, rotation, and phasing, etc. meters.
- Must know, understand, and apply all OSHA and company regulations and safety rules necessary to perform the job.
- Must be able to accurately read and interpret staking sheets and maps.
- Must possess specialized abilities and skills to allow the employee to climb poles and towers.
- Must have basic skills in operating iPad and laptop computers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to climb, balance, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must lift and/or move on a daily basis up to 50-75 pounds. May occasionally need to lift and/or move up to 75-100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
ALL APPLICANTS WHO ARE SELECTED FOR A POSITION WITHIN MIDLAND POWER COOPERATIVE ARE REQUIRED TO PASS A POST OFFER PHYSICAL EXAMINATION, BACKGROUND CHECK, AND DRUG SCREEN PRIOR TO EMPLOYMENT.
PLEASE SEND RESUMES TO Chase Bachman, Safety Coordinator