Director of Communications & Business Development - Midland Power Cooperative, Boone
- Full Time
Midland Power Cooperative is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Director of Communications & Business Development. This position is located in a newly built administrative facility in Boone, IA, located just off of Hwy 30, within minutes of excellent schools, a local hospital, the Des Moines River, Ledges State Park, and more. At Midland Power Cooperative, you will put your skills to good use as an important member of our team.
Midland Power is a member-owned electric cooperative, in business since 1937, providing electric service to over 12,800 meters in parts of 17 counties in central Iowa. The cooperative has locations in Boone, Humboldt, Iowa Falls, and Jefferson.
Department: Business Development
Reports to: Sr. V.P. of Business Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Location: 2005 S. Story Street, Boone, IA 50036
The Director shall be responsible for the general management and coordination of the organizational duties related to implements public relations and communications programs designed to actively promote the cooperative and attract investment and development in its service areas. Responsible for the administration of policies covering the broad field of public relations activities including advocating for legislation, rules, regulations and actions favorable to the organization and its members.
Midland Power Cooperative provides its full-time employees with a comprehensive benefits package which includes: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurances, paid time off for sick leave, vacation, holidays, and competitive retirement plans including pension and 401(k).
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- The Director will coordinate the organization’s internal and external communication efforts utilizing, but not limited to, newsletters, press releases, brochures, website, social media, business visitation, and event planning.
- Manage communications budgets. Track all communications pending, ensure statements are correct, paid in a timely fashion, and assigned to the correct budget.
- Manage digital marketing (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.) for member-consumer audience as well as craft social media posts.
- Help establish and maintain consistent corporate brand messaging and imaging across all mediums.
- Monitor local, regional, statewide, national and trade media for news, issues and trend articles related to patient engagement, adherence, and other relevant topics to electric utility industry.
Member and Public Relations
- Develop an interactive relationship with community, civic and governmental bodies, and representatives to broaden the co-op’s public relations base.
- Participate in activities, shows, displays, and other events.
- Identify the needs/issues of the communities the cooperatives service area.
- Periodically attend community meetings; reporting to them on activities and cooperative initiatives in their community and area.
- Represents the cooperative in governmental, community and professional organizations.
- Maintains a professional working relationship with the Iowa Association of Electric Cooperatives, the Iowa Area Development Group, and the National Association of Rural Electric Cooperatives as well as other applicable trade associations and business partners.
- Identifies and pursues targeted business and industry prospects while developing working relationships with local business and industry to support the sustainability and growth of the cooperative’s commercial and industrial members.
- Responsible for the monitoring and maintenance of Location One Information Services (LOIS) system for development areas in the cooperative’s service area.
- Manages the cooperative Revolving Loan Fund (RLF).
- Manages, develops, and delivers large commercial and large residential consumer marketing programs, demand-side energy services and conservation programs.
- Manages the cooperative's key accounts program.
- Promote and support the Cooperative’s mission and values.
- Foster a safe working environment by exemplifying, communicating, and enforcing safety rules and policies.
- Monitors progress and costs incurred in carrying out departmental work plans and budgets and reports to the Sr. V.P. of Business Development to assure compliance with program goals, budget levels and to serve as the basis for replanning.
- Fulfills supervisory responsibilities including but not limited to planning, scheduling, delegating, appraising, coaching, counseling, and teaching.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Keeps the Sr. V.P. of Business Development informed concerning work in progress and completed projects
- Consults with the Sr. V.P. of Business Development concerning problems which hinder efficient completion of the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Directs or supervises the work of the Communications Specialist.
Outdoor work required in a variety of weather conditions in addition to normal office working conditions. Occasional work outside of normal work hours will be required. Some overnight travel for meetings.
The preceding job description has been written to reflect management’s assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Midland Power Cooperative is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to multitask and manage a range of responsibilities and competing priorities.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills as well as exceptional listening skills.
- Proven problem-solving skills and business acumen
- Demonstrated ability to write engaging, professional pieces tailored to an objective in a variety of formats
- Strong editing skills (distilling core message, providing constructive feedback to business owner, etc.)
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, primarily InDesign, but additional applications would be a bonus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Teams
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications or Marketing, or an equivalent combination experience and education. Typical relevant experience is 3 – 5 years.
- Ideal candidate would have economic development experience.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License.
The position requires sitting, standing, walking, reaching, stretching, and repetitive motions of the hands and fingers such as keyboarding. The operation and use of various types of standard office equipment and machinery is required. Occasional operation of a company vehicle maybe required. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Minimal exposure to varying temperature conditions including cold below 32 degrees and heat above 100 degrees.
All applicants who are selected for a position within Midland Power Cooperative are required to pass a post-offer physical examination, background check, and drug screen prior to employment.