Executive Vice President & General Manager - Western Iowa Power Cooperative, Denison
- Full Time
The Board of Directors for Western Iowa Power Cooperative (WIPCO) is seeking to fill the position of Executive Vice President (EVP) & General Manager (GM). A vacancy in this position will be created when the current EVP and GM retires towards the end of 2021. WIPCO is a non-profit, member-owned rural electric distribution cooperative with approximately 2,100 miles of line serving nearly 3,500 members in west central Iowa with the headquarters in Denison, Iowa and a satellite office in Onawa, Iowa. Denison and the surrounding communities are wonderful places to spend free time including hundreds of acres of hunting and fishing areas, one 18-hole and two 9-hole golf courses, an indoor/outdoor aquatic center, many parks, and other special attractions. Denison also has close access to excellent healthcare and is a very affordable place to live and raise a family, while being located less than 80 miles away from Omaha, Nebraska and Sioux City, Iowa, and less than a two-hour drive from Des Moines, Iowa.
The Board seeks candidates with demonstrated competence in the management and leadership of an electric cooperative. In addition to strong people skills, the well-qualified candidate will have “hands-on” operations experience in power supply, rates, and engineering and proficiency in finance and accounting, human resources, safety, and customer service. The ability to work effectively with the WIPCO Board is very important, exemplified by a collaborative, team-oriented approach to governance and the ability to bring initiative, innovation, and strategic vision to the EVP/GM role. The EVP/GM is expected to present a positive organizational image of WIPCO in interactions with the community, other cooperatives, and the public in general.
WIPCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in the NRECA defined benefit pension plan and 401k savings plan. The Cooperative also offers medical, dental, LTD, STD and life insurance plans along with paid time off. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
A summary of candidate qualifications is as follows, although not all inclusive:
- Five (5) or more years’ experience in electric management is required
- A Bachelor’s Degree or college-level coursework in business administration, accounting and finance, quality and safety, or human resources is desirable
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills and be at ease with presentations to the public
- Demonstrated success in managing a large, diverse group of people is preferred
- A working understanding of budgets, employment law, technology, safety, quality, customer service, and human resources (including union negotiations) is preferred
- Industry knowledge and leadership with a focus on legislative issues is desirable
- Experience in designing, implementing, and evaluating an organizational strategic plan is desirable
- Must conduct self with the highest levels of ethics and integrity
- Applicant is expected to reside within the WIPCO service area within six (6) months.
The EVP/GM is responsible for the overall management of WIPCO and reports directly to the 10-member Board of Directors (the Board), which is elected by the WIPCO membership. The position is accountable to the Board and is responsible for administering policies and directives as established by the Board. The position requires the ability to manage multiple tasks through a collaborative problem-solving approach, that achieves organizational objectives on a timely basis.
Candidates with an understanding of the challenges facing rural Iowa and a strong commitment to address the needs of rural communities in the state will be preferred.
Application packages should include a cover letter and resume, with the cover letter setting forth why the applicant is seeking the position and why the applicant believes he or she is the best choice for the position. Applicant should state salary requirements or salary range requested. Other information deemed relevant may also be included by the applicant. The application package should include 4 business and 2 personal references.
Application packages should be sent to the following, no later than August 20, 2021:
Dennis L. Puckett
Sullivan & Ward, P.C.
6601 Westown Parkway, Suite 200
West Des Moines, Iowa 50266
All information shall be kept strictly confidential