Fiber Communications Lineman - Maquoketa Valley Electric Cooperative, Anamosa
- Full Time
The Fiber Communications Lineman performs a variety of duties related to the installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of both overhead and underground fiber optic mainline and service drop facilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties listed below are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. The Fiber Communications Lineman shall be required to perform any other duties assigned in order to fulfill the objective of the Cooperative.
Perform all the necessary activities in the construction and maintenance of overhead and underground fiber optic networks. Activities include but are not limited to the following:
- Frame poles for aerial fiber attachments.
- Build and maintain strand, lash cable and transfer attachments between poles.
- Install and remove pole anchors.
- Install, maintain, and repair underground vaults, pedestals, and conduit.
- Install aerial & underground drops
- Assist in the restoration of fiber outages
- Perform routine network inspections to identify defects in need of repair.
- Work in conjunction with electric crews to transfer fiber cable for line rebuild/relocation.
- Responsible for providing a safe work environment for themselves and all employees working near them.
- Conducts safety inspections on vehicles, tools and safety equipment as needed
- Maintain work order paperwork for inventory purposes
- Complies with all traffic laws, safety rules and regulations while operating assigned vehicle. Should at all times look out for the safety of the vehicle, its occupants and its load.
- Able to climb poles and work from hooks/gaffs at heights up to and exceeding 30’.
- Able to operate and use the following equipment: ladders, bucket truck, cable puller, reel stands, lasher, trencher, backhoe, and plow.
- Able to work within the energized power zone.
- Able to use all hand tools, implements, devices, equipment and material coincident with work to be completed.
- Able to assist with after-hours trouble shooting and repairs.
- Understand and utilize safety and protective equipment. Must be able to render first aid, CPR and pole- top resuscitation.
See full job description and online application at https://www.mvec.coop/employment.
Experience preferred but not required.