Finance Manager - Consumers Energy, Marshalltown
- Full Time
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS OF FINANCE MANAGER
Supervises and coordinates work of Finance Department with other cooperative departments and outside financial institutions the cooperative does business with; assists with development of financial forecasts, budgets and work plans; prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports; prepares loan applications; oversees and prepares Federal grant reporting; invests surplus general funds; and reports financial reports/information to the cooperative’s Board of Directors as requested.
- Observes and practices all safety policies.
- Supervises Finance Department personnel and assigns departmental workload and projects.
- Determines accounting practices and departmental work procedures and practices. Maintains adequate internal controls including continuous balancing of all accounts and month-end closings.
- Coordinates work of Finance Department with other cooperative departments.
- Provides assistance to cooperative’s Management as requested.
- Supervises record retention.
- Assists in the development of the cooperative’s programs, long-range plans, financial forecasts, annual budget, and work plans.
- Prepares Finance Department budget and compiles all cooperative departmental budgets into annual budget.
- Provides data to cooperative Management for the preparation of reports, work plans, and budgets.
- Prepares or supervises preparation of required monthly financial reports, annual reports, and special reports.
- Assists in the preparation of grant and loan applications/documents.
- Keeps abreast of investment trends and the financial market.
- Invests Consumers Energy’s surplus general funds to the benefit of the cooperative.
- Works with cooperative’s auditor and coordinates Finance Department’s activities and responsibilities with the auditor and audit process.
- Presents financial reports/information to cooperative’s Board of Directors at monthly board meetings and as requested.
- Establishes and maintains a good rapport with the financial institutions doing business with the cooperative.
- Oversees the payroll process and administers the benefits and compensation package for cooperative employees. Ensures compliance with all local, state and federal employment practice regulations. Includes preparing data for monthly, quarterly, and annual filing of use, sales, and payroll reports to local, state, and federal tax authorities.
- Responsible for financial activities including purchasing, inventory control, accounts payable, payroll, capital credits, fixed assets, and general ledger. Maintains appropriate subsidiary records for all accounts.
- Oversees maintaining the miscellaneous receivable subsidiary ledger. Includes billing directors, members, customers, and employees for any charges or other obligations to the cooperative.
- Maintains general plant asset subsidiary ledger and any applicable schedules by recording additions and removals of general plant assets.
- Evaluates job performance of Finance Department employees and recommends changes in their pay structure and/or employee duties/status.
- Approves scheduling of Finance Department employees that includes vacation and sick leave time.
- Establishes training programs for departmental employees that includes off-site training and on-the-job training.
- Plans training for other cooperative employees as necessary in regard to procedures and practices relating to financial services.
- CEO/General Manager
- Cost Accountant
Consumers Energy is an electric cooperative owned by the members we serve. Headquartered in Marshalltown, Iowa, with an outpost in Nevada, Iowa, the cooperative provides reliable, safe, and affordable electric service to approximately 7,000 members throughout five counties in Central Iowa: Marshall, Story, Polk, Jasper, and Tama. Learn more at www.consumersenergy.coop.
- Four years of education with an accredited college or university with a major course of study in accounting and business administration is required.
- A program of continuing education in fields pertaining to accounting, finance, and the electric utility industry is desired.
- An exceptional favorable work or employment experience may be considered for the education requirements.
- A minimum of five years is required as a controller, with a minimum of three years of general supervision.
- Experience is desired in utility and operations accounting procedures.
- An exceptional work or educational background may be considered for a portion of the experience requirements.
Alcohol and Drug Testing:
- As a condition of employment this position is subject to random alcohol and drug testing.
- Must believe in, be sympathetic with, and be interested in furthering the cooperative's objectives.
- Must have the understanding and willingness to work erratic hours under pressure in order to meet various deadlines.
- Must furnish leadership and effective administration for Finance Department employees.
- Must be receptive to suggestions and changes deemed necessary from cooperative Management and peers.
- A high degree of integrity, dependability, pleasant disposition, and extreme tact are essential characteristics.
- Must be able to handle numerous assignments simultaneously without becoming distressed.
- Must be able to handle confidential information with judgment and discretion.
- Must have the ability to work well with all levels of cooperative personnel.
- Must possess an effective working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, including cost accounting, budgeting, and auditing.
- Must have the basic knowledge of financial matters, including investment trends.
- Must maintain a current knowledge of changing industry and economic trends.
- Must have an adequate knowledge of the cooperative’s policies and objectives, operations, public relations, and administration of human resources; the rural electric cooperative program; and trade association objectives.
Abilities and Skills:
- Must be able to work eight-hours-a-day, five-days-a-week, and after regular working hours as needed.
- Must be able to travel occasionally as needed for conferences and training.
- Must have basic mathematic skills to make calculations and analyses and be skilled in spreadsheet and graphics software.
- Should be able to recognize problem areas quickly and resolve them with the least possible delay.
- Should have a good working knowledge of various types of office equipment and be able to grasp new concepts with a minimum explanation.
- Should be able to reflect the cooperative's financial status through required reports.
- Most of the normal duties will be performed inside, which will involve interaction with other employees and/or the public with frequent interruptions.
- Must possess visual acuity and manual dexterity, as well as the ability to listen and communicate effectively.
- The Finance Manager frequently sits at a desk, but occasionally stands, walks, bends, stoops, squats, and lifts from 10 to 20 pounds.
Deadline to apply: December 8, 2023.
Send resumes to:
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By mail:
Attn: Kippen Glenney
2074 242nd Street
Marshalltown, IA 50158