Journeyman Lineman - Maquoketa Valley Electric Cooperative, Anamosa
- Full Time
This position constructs, maintains, and operates overhead and underground distribution lines and transmission lines and operates substations. Keeps informed on changes in the industry and learns, complies, and assures compliance with all safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties listed below are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. The Journeyman Lineman shall be required to perform any other duties assigned in order to fulfill the objective of the Cooperative.
- Performs all the necessary activities in the construction and maintenance of energized and de-energized overhead and URD distribution lines. Activities include but are not limited to the following:
a. Frames, sets and aligns poles
b. Strings armor-rod
c. Sags and ties in conductors on all types of poles and structures
d. Installs and changes out all transformers
e. Installs underground primary and secondary lines, pad mount transformers and related equipment
f. Performs hot line work
g. Operates line trucks and bucket trucks and other assigned equipment. Ensures that these are maintained in good working condition.
- Adjusts, sets and operates regulators, oil circuit reclosers, cutouts, and other line devices.
- Assists in the maintenance and operation of all substation facilities.
- Installs security lights
- Installs single-phase and three-phase metering equipment
- Pulls scheduled stand-by-duty and emergency maintenance as required.
- Trims trees and clears right-of-way, as required
- Reads and sets meters, as required
- Collects delinquent accounts, as required
- Is familiar with system circuits and knows line feeds
- Patrols the line and checks for defective materials, equipment, or unsafe conditions and notifies crew leader or supervisor of problem areas
- Inspects work after the completion to ensure that it has been done in accordance with applicable specifications and codes.
- Is familiar with the considerable hazards that exist, including falls, electric shock, and electric flash, automobile traffic and falling objects. Understands and utilizes safety and protective equipment. Must be able to render first aid, CPR and pole-top resuscitation.
- Complies with all traffic laws, safety rules and regulations while operating assigned vehicles. Should, at all times, look out for the safety of the vehicle, its occupants and its load.
- Responsible for providing a safe work environment for themselves and all employees working near them.
This position provides work direction to apprentices and trainees and assists in training assigned personnel.
Visit www.mvec.coop for a complete job description.
Excellent benefits package includes health, vision, tuition reimbursement, vacation, sick leave, HSA, FSA, and company paid life, LTD, 401(k), and pension.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have completed at least 3 years in Maquoketa Valley Electric Cooperative’s apprenticeship or equivalent program, and must be able to perform all the activities listed under essential duties and responsibilities of Journeyman Lineman.
- Must be able to do all work related to the erection, rearrangement, maintenance and removal of overhead and underground distribution lines.
- Must be able to service and maintain sectionalizers, and reclosers.
- Must be able to maintain records required for accounting of time and materials
- Must be able to operate assigned equipment including buckets, bulldozers, forklift, backhoe, trencher, winches, drills, chainsaws, and high compression tools.
- Should have basic knowledge of poly-phase metering hook-ups and be able to properly install them
- Should have working knowledge of National Electrical Code.
- Must be able to perform first aid procedures including CPR, and pole-top resuscitation
Education and Experience
High School graduate or equivalent required. Successful completion of technical training at an accredited power line school is required. The position is required to participate in ongoing technical and safety training including hot line schools, applied electricity courses, etc.
Required Licenses or Certifications
Valid Iowa CDL
This position must have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret maps, staking sheets, sag charts and work orders and written instructions, as well as the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, and co-workers.
Mathematical /Computer Skills
Basic math skills and computer skills are required.
Ability to apply common sense understanding and to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form; Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions.