Journeyman Lineman / Power Plant Operator - Sumner Municipal Light Plant, Sumner
- Full Time
Sumner Iowa is a progressive community of 2,100 people, located in northeast Iowa. Sumner residents are proud of their school system, new state of the art community-owned hospital, and two new assisted living facilities. Sumner residents also enjoy the many social and recreational opportunities within the community which include a family aquatic center, 99 cent movie theatre, city park, and public library.
The Sumner Municipal Light Plant (SMLP) board of directors and employees are responsible for operating and maintaining the generation facility and the distribution system that provides power for the community of Sumner.
SMLP is a member of the North Iowa Municipal Electric Cooperative Association (NIMECA), and the Iowa Association of Municipal Utilities (IAMU). SMLP utilizes the continuing education opportunities offered by IAMU.
SMLP is currently in the process of constructing a new power plant and updating the electrical distribution system. SMLP is seeking a qualified individual to be involved in this process and to help to continue to provide reliable electric service to the community.
Salary Dependent on Qualifications
Benefit package Included
Equal opportunity Employer
The ideal candidate will advance to a supervisory / management position.
Requirements for the position include, but are not limited to the following:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years on the job experience. Journeyman certification preferred.
- Generation experience preferred.
- Knowledge of overhead and underground distribution construction.
- Have the ability to perform physical labor and heavy manual tasks.
- Serve on-call duty on a rotational basis and will be required to be available for occasional overtime work due to after-hour emergencies.
- Possess a valid Iowa driver’s license with a minimum of a Class B CDL with air brake endorsement.
- Comply with SMLP residency policy within six months of employment.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a post-offer physical, drug and alcohol screening and background check.
Interested candidates should submit a resume to the Sumner Municipal Light Plant as soon as possible, as we plan to fill the position quickly.
Resumés can be submitted by mail to:
Sumner Municipal Light Plant
PO Box 267
Sumner, Iowa 50674