Manager of Communications and Public Relations - Maquoketa Valley Electric Cooperative, Anamosa, MO
- Full Time
The Manager of Communications and Public Relations shall present him/herself in a professional manner, always striving to leave a good impression of the Cooperative from both a member and a community perspective.
The Manager of Communications and Public Relations will promote and direct internal and external events that promote the Cooperative’s business model and its mission.
The Manager of Communications and Public Relations provides a better quality of life for members by promoting the Cooperative and providing information on its programs and services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties listed below are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. The Manager of Communications and Public Relations shall be required to perform any other duties assigned in order to fulfill the objective of the Cooperative.
- Directs the development of cooperative communications including the preparation of monthly newsletters, website, social media, advertisements, brochure development and distribution. Ensures consistency in all forms of communications with a focus on the message being conveyed.
- Works with the media to promote the Cooperative and issues press releases as needed.
- Plans and organizes cooperative events including Annual Meeting, Member Appreciation, Model Home, Open House, FFA Scholarship, home/trade shows and/or other community activities.
- Develops and maintains working relationships with community leaders, area economic development groups, and business leaders in order to promote Maquoketa Valley Electric Cooperative products and services, including MVEC’s Revolving Loan Fund.
- Directs member relations activities including incoming calls and traffic, energy efficiency and safety, resolution of billing and other complaints, and the marketing, sales and service of MVEC and its products and services.
- Acts as legislative advocate, contacting legislators and attending legislative forums as needed
- This position is responsible for the provision of a full range of management activities including but not limited to the selection, training and evaluation of department personnel, budgeting, planning and the completion of special projects.
- Ensures all employees follow cooperative policies and fulfill their job responsibilities in an efficient and safe manner.
- Responsible for providing a safe work environment for themselves and all employees working near them.
This position supervises the Marketing Specialist(s), Member Advocate and Receptionist, along with any employee assigned to the department.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee is required to transport themselves to various locations in and out of the office environment. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The job includes a combination of inside and outside work. Traveling for the cooperative is required. Some irregular hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays may also be required.
All employees: Develops multiple employee communication paths to ensure all employees fully understand message being conveyed by management. Works with all employees to ensure correct information is being given to members and general public.
Engineering: Coordinates with the Director of Engineering to ensure system constraints are clearly conveyed to potential new members and /or contributions toward system improvements are known in a timely manner.
This position will also work frequently with people outside the Cooperative, extending a positive, professional image of Maquoketa Valley Electric Cooperative in all communication and actions. This may also require positions on various committees and boards in order to demonstrate the Cooperative’s commitment to communities.
- Members: Advises and assists members in every way possible. Takes advantage of the opportunity to obtain increased understanding and acceptance of cooperative objectives, policies, plans and programs.
- General Public: Maintains friendly, cooperative relationships with the general public in the performance of responsibilities.
- After Hours Response Center: Assists with after-hours management.
- Iowa Area Development Group: Assists in processing loans, marketing and site locations. Takes advantage of education and training.
- Other Cooperatives: Shares information, seeks advice and assistance.
- Vendors: Obtains information on new products and quotes and places orders.
- Media: Provides press releases and places advertisements.
- Legislators: Builds relationships to obtain increased understanding and acceptance of Cooperative objectives, policies, plans and programs as laws, rules, and regulations are established.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to learn MVEC member programs and policies within a reasonable time span and acquire knowledge of MVEC’s retail rates and charges. Must be generally familiar with utility operations and procedures. Must possess knowledge of public and customer relations principles and practices and be able to apply them to a cooperative utility.
Must be able to organize work to complete deadlines. Must be able to work with a variety of people under differing circumstances. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
Must be skilled in the training, motivating and evaluating of assigned personnel in order to obtain the highest degree of productivity and the development of individual capabilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing or a related field, or equivalent experience is required.
- At least five years progressively responsible experience in communications and public relations is required.
- Experience should include knowledge of economic development practices as well as management of a diverse group of customer service, marketing and communication employees.
REQUIRED LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS
Valid Iowa Driver’s License
Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers and co-workers. Must have the ability to correspond in writing and verbally with members and other internal and external contacts.
Must have the skills to develop effective communication on complex subjects with individuals not familiar with the electric industry in varying formats including electronic media.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, and percentages. Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and/or similar types of software used in graphics design and communication.
Ability to apply common sense understanding and to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form; Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions.