Manager of Finance and Administration – Grundy County REC
- Full Time
Grundy County REC is seeking qualified applicants for the open position of Manager of Finance and Administration. This position manages and directs the daily financial and administrative duties in an effective and efficient manner that advances the financial position of the Cooperative.
Employment type: Full-time exempt position under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act in relation to wage and hour regulations.
- Continually looks for improvements and developments in financial, billing and administrative procedures, practices, methods and equipment that will improve productivity, safety, employee moral and customer services.
- Provides back-up assistance and support to the executive assistant for the payroll, human resources and benefits administration functions.
- Supervises consumer accountant on all billing, collections and miscellaneous activities and provides back-up support for answering the phone, answering billing question, posting electric bill payments, processing collections and assisting members with inquires.
- Prepares annual patronage capital allocation and presents to the EVP/GM and prepares the resolution for Board approval. Records journal entries. Oversees the consumer accountant who processes allocations to members accounts and mails notices.
- Prepares options for the annual patronage capital retirement and presents to the EVP/GM for Board approval. Oversees the consumer accountant who processes retirements, applies refunds to member accounts and mails checks to former members promptly.
- Prepares and submits quarterly sales tax and franchise tax reports to the State of Iowa and ensures prompt payment of taxes dues.
- Performs accounting activities of the co-op and its subsidiaries in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and in accordance with USDA/RUS §1767.12 borrower requirements. Maintains all records in accordance with established record retention guidelines.
- Prepares financial reports for monthly board meeting including; cash disbursements report, income statement, balance sheet, operating report, dashboards and consumer sales and revenue report.
- Works with consultants, auditors, contractors, etc., by providing the necessary information, reports, and records.
- Responsible for the co-op’s work order system. Maintains subsidiary records for construction and retirement work in progress, determines sales tax liability on material used, records miles of line added and retired, records services added and retired, closes work orders. Responsible for inventory of work orders, special equipment summaries, and maintaining continuing property records to update and maintain the co-op electric plant records. Monitors open work orders for validity and causes inactive work orders to be addressed in a timely manner.
- Maintains loan fund records and prepares USDA/RUS Form 740c and other required loan requisition documents. Submits required documents to USDA/RUS for approval to advance on loan funds.
- Receives payroll information from the executive assistant and ensures proper and timely remittance of all taxes. Prepares and submits Quarterly Federal Tax Return Form 941, Annual Unemployment (FUTA) and (SUTA) tax returns. Processes all year-end payroll documents including W2’s, W-3’s, Forms 1099 and 1096 and submits to IRS by due date.
- Prepares, records and posts all journal entries to the general ledger, balances with subsidiary ledgers and processes monthly close out.
- Receives and sorts all cooperative invoices and prepares them for vouchering. Assigns proper account and checks for quantity and pricing discrepancies. Enters invoices and edits all data to insure correctness and accuracy. Prints and prepares checks for mailing and prepares all remittance advice and documents with payments. Maintains electronic check signatures. Performs month-end processing.
- Works with the EVP/GM and department heads to develop and prepare the annual operating and capital budgets. Coordinates and consolidates co-op wide annual budget and analyzes overall financial position.
- Submits all financial and statistical reports as required by the USDA/RUS, Iowa Utilities Board, State of Iowa, etc. Includes such reports as the Form 7, EC-1, tax reports, etc.
- Works with the revolving loan fund economic development loans that are approved by the Board of Directors. Compiles all required documents, maintains files and completes annual USDA reporting.
- Ensures effective cash management. Responsible for reconciling all co-op bank accounts monthly. Responsible for depositing and transferring funds to the various depository accounts for general fund, patronage fund and revolving loan fund. Invests funds on a short-term basis to assure the availability and efficient use of funds.
- Oversees the daily operation of the headquarters and reports to the EVP/GM to ensure preventative maintenance timetables are maintained.
- Oversees the contracted cleaning staff ensuring that the headquarters cleanliness is maintained; looking to the most efficient methods.
- Acts as the liaison between the co-op and information technology contractor. Keeps him/her informed of hardware and software problems and all other matters requiring his/her attention to ensure adequate services and support are provided to system users for the computer and software needs.
- Acts as liaison to the co-op software provider Daffron/Milsoft Utility Solutions accounting and billing systems for staff personnel. Ensures annual accounting and billing software updates are tested and loaded to keep the system updated and current.
- Assists with Annual Meeting planning and preparation. Responsible to attend meeting and ensure adequate staff are available to complete required tasks for a successful meeting.
- This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
This position includes an excellent benefits package including 401(k), Hawkeye Pension, holidays, vacation, sick leave, group term life, short-term and long-term disability insurance, health, dental, vision and tuition reimbursement. GCREC is an equal opportunity employer.
Requires a Bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration. Prefer a minimum of five to seven years of experience in the utility industry in a management level position. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office products such as Word, Excel and Outlook.
Requires thorough knowledge of the USDA/RUS §1767.12 and the Uniform System of Accounts including work order procedures and general and subsidiary ledgers in order to have complete familiarity with the financial operations of the Cooperative.
Must possess demonstrated leadership and communication skills and an established record of motivating and empowering employees. Must be a detailed individual who likes working with others and is capable of motivating others within a team environment. Ability to prioritize work in order to meet all of the various deadlines throughout the month and year.
Interested applicants should email your resume and three professional references by August 14, 2020, to:
Vicki Daily, General Manager
Grundy County REC