Member Service Representative - Consumers Energy, Marshalltown
- Full Time
Consumers Energy is accepting resumes for the position of Member Service Representative. This position is the first contact with customers of the cooperative. Primary responsibilities are to answer incoming phone calls, assist with payments and communication regarding past due accounts, and to provide administrative support for the Member Services Department. Successful candidate is highly customer service oriented, organized, a self-starter, and enjoys working in a team environment.
The Member Service Representative works in the Member Services Department. The Member Service Representative will serve as the first significant connection between the cooperative and its members and will assist members with most aspects of their membership account with the cooperative.
- Observes and practices all safety policies.
- Answers incoming phone calls and transfers to appropriate extensions.
- Addresses member questions and concerns received through interaction at the cooperative office, in-coming phone calls, via the cooperative’s email or Website, and from the field.
- Processes payments received through the mail or over the counter.
- Assists in researching information needed to resolve member problems and questions on a variety of issues.
- Works to establish and maintain a good rapport with the cooperative’s members and key accounts.
- Receives incoming calls and visitors in a prompt and courteous manner and directs them to proper department or person as needed.
- Receives and relays radio messages in accordance with established procedures and FCC rules.
- Records pertinent and accurate member information in a timely manner into the cooperative’s customer information system.
- Assists in coordinating information and actions between departments of the cooperative to best serve its members.
- Performs on-line credit checks for new accounts and determines account deposit required.
- Responsible for the monthly collections process which includes (as assigned):
- Determining delinquent accounts.
- Initiating service orders for disconnection of non-payment accounts.
- Providing necessary information to appropriate staff members for disconnection of accounts.
- Recording and initiating automated phone calls for accounts in regard to delinquency and broken payment arrangements.
- Identifying and managing members on energy assistance and payment agreements.
- Informing other departmental staff of critical information needed for handling incoming phone calls.
- Responsible for notifying Cooperative Response Center (CRC) of disconnection/reconnection of accounts as needed.
- Assisting with the monthly billing process which may include (as assigned):
- Processing of meter changes and coordination with Metering Systems Coordinator for correct information to process bills.
- Developing the annual billing schedule.
- Keying special meter reads, checking accuracy of readings prior to billing, manual billing of certain accounts and services, calculating final bills and budget billing.
- Correct billing of sales taxes for the state, county and city authorities.
- Producing and reviewing meter reading error reports, rate summary sheets, and other reports as necessary.
- Assisting with processing of billing adjustments to member accounts.
- Assisting with coding of new accounts and disconnections to start and end the billing process.
- Responsible for closing out cash register, locking money in the safe, switching phones to night mode and locking doors.
- Assisting with mailing of new member and contractor/builder information.
- Coordinating and tracking Community Room usage; ensuring that Community Room is cleaned after use.
- Assisting with miscellaneous cooperative mailings.
- Handling incoming emails to the “info” account and either handling the request or forwarding to the appropriate individual.
- Preparing monthly calendar of vacations, birthdays, meetings and events.
- Performing various other duties as assigned by the Member Services Manager.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The Member Service Representative will also perform all other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor and other Management as required.
- Member Services Manager
- A minimum of a high school diploma is required.
- The equivalent of a two-year associate’s degree in business or marketing is desired.
- An exceptional favorable work or employment experience may be considered for the education requirements.
- Experience in a business office is highly desired.
- Experience in customer service is highly desired.
- An exceptional work or educational background may be considered for a portion of the experience requirements.
Alcohol and Drug Testing:
- As a condition of employment this position is subject to random alcohol and drug testing.
- Must believe in, be sympathetic with, and be interested in furthering the cooperative’s objectives.
- Must have a desire to work with and be of service to the cooperative’s members at all times.
- Must be receptive to suggestions and changes as necessary from the cooperative’s Management and peers.
- Must be willing to develop leadership skills and cooperative business knowledge.
- A high degree of integrity, dependability and pleasant disposition are essential.
- Must have the ability to communicate under difficult circumstances.
- Must be able to work independently and exercise judgment and confidentiality.
- Must be able to perform duties in accordance with Consumers Energy’s policies.
- Must be focused on providing excellent member and customer service.
- Must have the ability to work with all levels of cooperative personnel.
- Must have knowledge of computer programs/software.
- Must possess oral and written communications skills.
- Must obtain and possess a working knowledge of records and filing systems, along with general office procedures.
Abilities and Skills:
- Must be able to work eight-hours-a-day, five-days-a-week, and after regular working hours as needed.
- Must be able to travel occasionally as needed for conferences and training.
- Must be able to demonstrate organizational, problem solving, and decision making skills.
- Oral and written communications skills are essential.
- Must be skilled in dealing with difficult situations and communications with members.
- Must be skilled in Microsoft office and internet applications.
- Most of the normal duties will be performed inside in normal office conditions, which will involve interaction with other employees and/or the public with frequent interruptions.
- Must possess visual acuity and manual dexterity as well as the ability to listen and communicate effectively.
- Must be able to sit at a desk for extended periods.
- Must be able to stand, walk, bend, stoop, squat and lift from 10 to 20 pounds.
Call 800-696-6552 for more information. Mail, email, or fax cover letter and resume by June 21, 2021, to:
Attn: Gail Hull
2074 242nd Street
Marshalltown, IA 50158