Operations Assistant - Midland Power Cooperative, Boone
- Full Time
Midland Power Cooperative is seeking qualified applicants for the open position of Operations Assistant.
Midland Power is a member-owned electric distribution cooperative located in central Iowa currently serving over 12,800 meters in parts of 17 counties. This position would be located in a new administrative facility in Boone, IA, located just off of Hwy 30, within minutes of excellent schools, a local hospital, the Des Moines River, Ledges State Park, and more.
Employment type: Full-time
Regular working hours: 7:30 AM to 4 PM, Monday - Friday (with overtime as necessary)
The Operations Assistant is to provide assistance to the Line Superintendent in record keeping and providing information and support for service restoration to cooperative members. The assistant is also responsible for all record keeping of maintenance activities on all equipment including overhead or underground facilities and protective equipment.
- Maintains all recloser maintenance records in a computer database on a four year rotation.
- Prepares reports and records as required, i.e. work orders, meter set orders, transformer installations, new services, etc.
- Participates in regular and special meetings of the Operations Department to keep informed and communicate on the progress of work programs and schedules.
- Follows safety rules and regulations of Iowa Association of Electric Cooperatives (IAEC), IOSHA, OSHA and the Cooperative, and observes safe working habits to ensure safe working area around site for oneself, fellow employees, and the public, by participating in all cooperative safety training programs.
- Monitors outage screen during the day and assists in dispatching crews on calls that include outages in addition to tracking crew(s) locations during the day.
- Notifies members / customers of scheduled outages on an as needed basis as directed by the Line Superintendent. Communicates outage information with other departments regarding estimated restoration times, causes, etc.
- Answers incoming phone calls or emails about new memberships, maintenance issues, or outages, and generates required paperwork to get the applicable processes in motion.
- Initiates Iowa One call locate requests on an as needed basis.
- Obtains and distributes updated insurance cards, vehicle license tags and registration renewals each year.
- Other duties assigned by the Line Superintendent.
Usually works indoors in a normal business environment, but travel to meetings and other events may require evening hours and/or overnight stays away from home. The noise level in the office is usually low to moderate.
The preceding job description has been written to reflect management’s assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Midland Power Cooperative is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
Skills & Abilities
- Experience with personal computers and Microsoft Office® software is required. Ability to learn industry-related software is also required.
- Ability to understand specific instructions regarding process execution.
- Capability to interpret staking sheets and have a basic knowledge of the science of electricity (with training).
- Possess good communication skills by answering phones or emails and talking to members or fellow employees.
- Ability to work as a team and collaborate with fellow employees.
Education & Experience
Must have successfully completed High School or equivalent education. Previous administrative experience is preferred.
A valid Driver’s License is required.
The position requires sitting, standing, walking, reaching, stretching, and repetitive motions of the hands and fingers such as keyboarding. The operation and use of various types of standard office equipment and machinery is required. Occasional operation of a company vehicle may be required. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision requirements include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
To submit an application, CLICK HERE.