Planning Engineer - Central Iowa Power Cooperative, Cedar Rapids
- Full Time
Central Iowa Power Cooperative (CIPCO) is currently searching for a Planning Engineer to join the team in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. This position performs transmission planning and generator interconnection studies and recommend facility upgrades necessary to maintain system adequacy and reliability.
- Assist in ensuring accurate data for CIPCO facilities is submitted to appropriate regional transmission organizations and/or power pools to facilitate regional power flow model development efforts. Assists in building and maintaining internal models used to perform power flow studies.
- Assist in performing power flow studies to identify potential future system deficiencies and identifies the most favorable solutions. Recommends future transmission line and substation upgrades (including size, location, cost, and in-service dates) necessary to avoid such deficiencies. Reports the results of such studies to internal and external personnel prior to formulation of the annual budget.
- Assist in performing economic development studies to determine the required interconnection facilities and any associated system upgrades. Provides technical and business information and analyses.
- Assist in performing generator interconnection studies to determine the required interconnection facilities and any associated system upgrades. Provides technical and business information and analyses.
- Support coordination of CIPCO short-range and long-range plans with appropriate regional transmission organization plans.
- Support compliance with NERC Planning Standards and Measurements.
- Represent CIPCO on various regional and local transmission and planning related committees.
- Assist in providing data for economic justification of construction projects for RUS loan applications.
- Comply with the CIPCO Employee and Administrative Policies.
- Assist with various transmission tariff related activities.
CIPCO provides its employees with a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision insurance
- Pension plan
- 401(k) with company match
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Life Insurance, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, and much more.
For more information about CIPCO please visit: www.cipco.net
CIPCO is a generation and transmission electric cooperative built by member cooperatives and the communities they serve. With a balanced, 24/7 energy portfolio, CIPCO is committed to providing cost-effective, clean, safe, and reliable energy. CIPCO and its 13 members serve over 300,000 Iowans in 58 Iowa counties. CIPCO’s principal place of business is Des Moines, Iowa, with locations in Cedar Rapids, Creston, and Wilton. For more information about CIPCO please visit: www.cipco.net
Click here to find out why CIPCO is a great place to work!
Requirements and Critical Success Factors
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with a minimum 2 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience; experience working with PSS/E and MUST and/or TARA applications.
- Collaborative; able to effectively work in team environment; willing to assist others
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
- Strong organizational, coordination and time management skills
- Is a self-starter with high level of initiative
- Able to work independently or on a team
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Strong PC and application skills with the ability to work with PSS/E and MUST and/or TARA
To apply for this position, please visit www.cipco.net and click Career Opportunities.