Plant Electrician - Central Iowa Power Cooperative, Creston
- Full Time
Central Iowa Power Cooperative (CIPCO) is currently searching for a Plant Electrician to join the team at the Summit Lake generating plant in Creston, Iowa. This position is covered under a collective bargaining agreement and provides excellent company benefits and compensation.
About CIPCO: CIPCO is a generation and transmission electric cooperative built by member cooperatives and the communities they serve. With a balanced, 24/7 energy portfolio, CIPCO is committed to providing cost-effective, clean, safe, and reliable energy. CIPCO and its 13 members serve over 300,000 Iowans in 58 Iowa counties. CIPCO’s principal place of business is Des Moines, Iowa, with locations in Cedar Rapids, Creston, and Wilton. Click here to find out why CIPCO is a great place to work!
About Creston: Click here for a video tour of Creston, Iowa presented by the Creston Chamber of Commerce.
- Maintain the electrical equipment in the at the Summit Lake/Creston Operations plant site, pumphouses, and distributed generation sites.
- Inspect, replace, and repair systems including but not limited to breaker panels, building circuits and appliances, fire and combustible gas alarm systems, HVAC, and lighting.
- Maintain, inspect, and repair and clean generating plant equipment and auxiliaries. Activities include but are not limited to:
- Inspect, replace, and repair engine and turbine electrical systems including generators & excitation, primary power distribution, auxiliary power distribution circuits.
- Inspect, replace, and repair auxiliary equipment elements such as automatic voltage regulators, batteries, switches, breakers, relays, panels & cabinets, transformers, grounding equipment, cables, bus, motors, and variable frequency drives.
- Fabricate, repair, and install electrical conduit, panels, and cabinets for electrical conductors and apparatus.
- Document and record all maintenance work in a manner and format required by plant management.
- Order necessary parts and materials to support current projects, and to maintain inventory for future and emergent maintenance needs.
- Constructively assist other plant maintenance staff and CIPCO engineering staff to maintain any other equipment, troubleshoot problems, perform inspections, and execute projects as needed.
- Assist with plant operations on an as-needed basis.
- Participate in all safety training programs and procedures as directed and carry out all safety practices & procedures.
- Regular attendance at work is an essential function of the job.
CIPCO provides its employees with a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision insurance
- Pension plan
- 401(k) with company match
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Life Insurance, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, and much more.
To complete an online application please visit www.cipco.net and click Career Opportunities. For more information about CIPCO please visit: www.cipco.net
Requirements and Critical Success Factors
- High School diploma or GED.
- A current Journeyman Electrician license is required, and additional instrumentation electronics coursework is preferred.
- Must have four years' experience in power plant electrical maintenance or six years' experience in other electrical work or complete in-house plant Apprentice Electrician training program.
- Ability to safely and properly use tools including but not limited to electrical measurement instruments, drill press, power saws and tools, basic hand tools, slings and chain hoists, conduit benders and pipe threaders.
- Strong knowledge of fundamental electrical theory, as well as maintenance and repair best practices of power generation and/or heavy industrial electrical equipment.
- Ability to identify and mitigate electrical safety hazards.
- Ability to read and understand repair manuals, electrical schematics, and labeling on chemical containers.
- Ability to clearly communicate with and direct others to accomplish tasks in respectful and efficient manner.
- Ability to perform routine job-related recordkeeping.
- Ability to comprehend and retain written and verbal instruction.
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and respond to multiple tasks in a timely fashion.
- Ability to maintain awareness of imminent and potential safety hazards and take immediate preventive action.
To complete an online application please visit www.cipco.net and click Career Opportunities.