President & Chief Executive Officer - Iowa Lakes Electric Cooperative, Estherville
- Full Time
The Board of Directors for Iowa Lakes Electric Cooperative (ILEC) is seeking to fill the position of President & Chief Executive Officer. A vacancy in this position will be created when the current President & CEO retires at the beginning of 2022. ILEC is a non-profit, member-owned rural electric distribution cooperative with approximately 4,800 miles of line serving nearly 12,952 members in Northwest Iowa with the headquarters in Estherville, Iowa and 6 service centers. Estherville and the surrounding communities are wonderful places to spend free time including hundreds of acres of hunting and fishing areas, several area golf courses, a winery, many parks, and other special attractions. Estherville also has close access to excellent healthcare and is a very affordable place to live and raise a family, while being located less than 20 miles away from Iowa's Great Lakes Region, including Okoboji and Spirit Lake, Iowa and less than a two-hour drive from Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
The Board seeks candidates with demonstrated competence in the management and leadership of an electric cooperative. In addition to strong people skills, the well-qualified candidate will have “hands-on” operations experience in power supply, rates, and engineering and proficiency in finance and accounting, human resources, safety, and customer service. The ability to work effectively with the ILEC Board is very important, exemplified by a collaborative, team-oriented approach to governance and the ability to bring initiative, innovation, and strategic vision to the President & CEO role. The President & CEO is expected to present a positive organizational image of ILEC in interactions with the community, other cooperatives, and the public in general.
The President & CEO is responsible for the overall management of ILEC and reports directly to the 14-member Board of Directors (the Board), which is elected by the ILEC membership. The position is accountable to the Board and is responsible for administering policies and directives as established by the Board. The position requires the ability to manage multiple tasks through a collaborative problem-solving approach, that achieves organizational objectives on a timely basis.
ILEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in the NRECA defined benefit pension plan and 401k savings plan. The Cooperative also offers medical, dental, LTD, STD and life insurance plans along with paid time off. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
A summary of candidate qualifications is as follows, although not all-inclusive:
- Five (5) or more years of increasingly responsible management or supervisory experience is preferred. Preference is given to experience in the electric utility field.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, public administration or management, or a technical-professional area such as economics, engineering, communications, marketing, finance, accounting, etc. is required.
- Commitment to Cooperative Principles and the Touchstone Energy values.
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills and be at ease with presentations to the public
- Demonstrated success in managing a large, diverse group of people is preferred
- A working understanding of Board-Manager relations, supervision, budgeting, personnel, administration, planning, controls, forecasting, financial management, construction or project management and be able to translate this knowledge into effective work programs
- Industry knowledge with a focus on community, industrial and economic development is desirable as well as a general knowledge of load management and energy conservation principles.
- Leadership skills and experience in designing, implementing, and evaluating an organizational strategic plan is desirable
- Must conduct self with the highest levels of ethics and integrity
- Applicant is expected to reside within the ILEC service area within six (6) months and being willing to participate in the affairs of the Cooperative's headquarters community is desirable.
Candidates with an understanding of the challenges facing rural Iowa and a strong commitment to address the needs of rural communities in the state will be preferred.
Application packages should include a cover letter and resume, with the cover letter setting forth why the applicant is seeking the position and why the applicant believes he or she is the best choice for the position. Applicant should state salary requirements or salary range requested. Other information deemed relevant may also be included by the applicant. The application package should include 4 business and 2 personal references.
Application packages should be sent to the following, no later than October 15, 2021:
Sullivan & Ward, P.C.
6601 Westown Parkway, Suite 200
West Des Moines, Iowa 50266
All information shall be kept strictly confidential.