Substation Engineer - Central Iowa Power Cooperative, Cedar Rapids
- Full Time
Central Iowa Power Cooperative (CIPCO) is currently searching for a Substation Engineer to join the team in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. This position performs substation design necessary to implement system improvement plans and prepare essential protective relay settings for new and modified facilities.
- Plan and design substation additions and associated facilities.
- Prepare material specifications, equipment installation specifications and labor installation specifications, and documents that equipment, material and work received conform to specifications.
- Order material, equipment and supplies for approved substation projects and coordinates delivery with construction completion and in-service data.
- Prepare job cost estimates for the construction of new substations providing economic and operational justification.
- Provides general supervision and field technical assistance for the installation of substation equipment.
- Stay abreast of new developments in communications, substation design, and apparatus.
- Design relay and control panel layouts and prepare purchase specifications for devices.
- Design protective relay schemes and associated test plans for new or revised Cooperative substations.
- Collaborate with other Substation Engineers and Drafting Technician to prepare A/C and D/C schematic diagrams, interconnection diagrams and other drawings as necessary to implement new relay schemes or modify existing schemes.
- Develop relay and protective device settings, documentation and system protection design standards.
- Assist field technicians in troubleshooting problems beyond their experience or competence that involve a special knowledge of test equipment or system operation.
- Evaluates fault recorder oscillograph charts and sequence of events records to verify appropriate relay settings.
- Stay abreast of new developments in the field of protective relaying.
- Coordinate with interconnecting utilities on relay schemes, communication, and protective relay settings necessary to satisfy Cooperative obligations.
CIPCO provides its employees with a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision insurance
- Pension plan
- 401(k) with company match
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Life Insurance, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, and much more.
CIPCO is a generation and transmission electric cooperative built by member cooperatives and the communities they serve. With a balanced, 24/7 energy portfolio, CIPCO is committed to providing cost-effective, clean, safe, and reliable energy. CIPCO and its 13 members serve over 300,000 Iowans in 58 Iowa counties. CIPCO’s principal place of business is Des Moines, Iowa, with locations in Cedar Rapids, Creston, and Wilton. For more information about CIPCO please visit: www.cipco.net
Click here to find out why CIPCO is a great place to work!
For more information about CIPCO please visit: www.cipco.net
Requirements and Critical Success Factors
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with 0-2 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Collaborative; able to effectively work in team environment; willing to assist others
- Strong communication skills, verbal, written and presentation skills
- Strong organizational, coordination and time management skills
- Is a self-starter with high level of initiative
- Strong analytical skills and detail-oriented
- Troubleshooting / problem-solving skills
To apply for this position, please visit www.cipco.net and click Career Opportunities.