Utility Engineering Manager - Midland Power Cooperative, Boone
- Full Time
Utility Engineering Manager
- Job Type: Full-time
- Pension Retirement Plan
- Vacation leave
- Flex Time
- Health Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Various voluntary benefits
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Disability Insurance
- Sick leave
Full Job Description
Use your POWER to improve lives!
At Midland Power Cooperative our purpose is empower our member-consumers lives through cooperation and local connections. We do that by focusing on our mission of safely providing reliable, affordable, and responsible electric service while enhancing the communities we serve. If you are an engineer who is passionate about solving challenging problems and providing service that empowers and improves the lives of the people in your community then we invite you to consider joining the Midland Power Cooperative team.
Who we are?
Midland Power Cooperative is a member-consumer owned and locally controlled electric cooperative. For over 80-years we have proudly served and provided the power that improves lives in 17 north central Iowa counties. As a non-for-profit electric utility we put our consumers – our member-owners – first, which means our focus is on Main Street, not Wall Street.
Our team is the best in the industry, and if you want to work for a team with the core values are Safety, Integrity, Teamwork, Accountability, Excellence, and Community, then look no further. Our team members take pride in the work they do, whether its responding when disaster strikes, working on a new service on a calm day, or strategizing on future system improvements. We support our dedicated team members by cultivating a culture of safety, investing in their professional development, family wellness, and long-term financial security.
What You’ll Do
- Develops the long- and short-range planning associated with all major system line and substation improvements. Develops construction work plans, new delivery point applications and other planning related studies. Presents plans to Cooperative management for review and approval.
- Responsible for the planning and design of new distribution and substation facilities as well as the modifications/upgrades of existing substations including substation land purchases.
- Administers the contracts with contractor(s) executing the annual new-to-replace old projects. Manages said contractor(s) work as well.
- Responsible for the development of the Cooperative’s capital expenditures (system improvements) budgets.
- Provides technical assistance to the Operations Department in areas related to Power Quality issues.
- Develops and recommends approaches to implement the Cooperative’s electric facility extension policies for extension of services to new consumers. Maintains agreements and consistency in the Cooperative in applying these policies.
- Performs engineering calculations relating to such matters as power flow, thermal capacity, load diversification, arc flash, wind/ice loading, and protective device coordination.
- Electrical protection of the electric power distribution system, assuring the proper application of protective equipment, preparing sectionalizing studies and the implementation of necessary construction.
- Field inspection and consultation on construction projects as required.
- Prepares detailed design documents using a variety of software tools including AutoCAD, GIS systems, and enterprise software.
- Preparing routine and special studies and investigations such as voltage levels, customer voltage and flicker complaints, phase balancing, capacitor and voltage regulator applications, economic sizing of conductors and transformers.
- Recommending and implementing new or improved engineering standards, practices, or methods.
- Develops and maintains procedures for operating a safe a reliable SCADA system.
- Technical support to system operations, fault locating, and relay event analysis.
- Directs and manages the Staking Services function. Directs the staff responsible for investigating, surveying, and staking electric lines.
- Oversees the installation, operation, and maintenance of the AMI metering system and related infrastructure.
- Assures databases, maps, and graphs are maintained.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been crafted to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not crafted to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
- Boone, IA 50036: Reliably commute or willing to relocate with an employer-provided relocation package (Required)
- The position requires sitting, standing, walking, reaching, stretching, and repetitive motions of the hands and fingers such as keyboarding. Operation of a company vehicle required. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25/50 pounds. Some exposure to varying temperature conditions including cold below 32 degrees and heat above 100 degrees.
- In addition to normal office working conditions, some outdoor work required in a variety of weather conditions.
- Midland Power Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Midland Power Cooperative is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, or related field preferred, or equivalent experience. Typical relevant experience is 5+ years.
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to multitask and manage a range of responsibilities and competing priorities.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills as well as exceptional listening skills.
- Proven problem-solving skills and business acumen.
- Knowledge of distribution system operations, system design (R.U.S. standards preferred), NESC, NEC, ANSI/IEEE and safe working practices required.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License.
- U.S. work authorization
- Strong technology skills and an understanding of Office 365 suite of tools.
All applicants who are selected for a position within Midland Power are required to pass a physical examination, drug screen, and background check when employed.
Please submit resume to Chase Bachman at firstname.lastname@example.org.