Iowa Youth Tour "Intern" Application
Iowa Youth Tour 2023 – Volunteer/Intern
The Iowa Association of Electric Cooperatives is seeking a volunteer (aka “Iowa Youth Tour Intern”) for Youth Tour 2023.
Youth Tour is a program that brings high school students to Washington, D.C. every June. High school students compete for slots for this unique opportunity and are selected for this program by their local electric cooperative.
Approximately 35 participants — generally high school students that are currently juniors or seniors will be chosen by local electric cooperatives from across the state of Iowa. They’ll be joined by approximately 1,800 other participants from around the country.
Students on the tour learn about electric cooperatives, American history and U.S. government. They visit with their representatives in the House and the Senate, and see the sights around Washington, DC.
The volunteer will help by providing leadership while on the tour.
The ideal applicant is someone who is creative and enjoys working with high school students. Someone who is savvy with all social media platforms, organized, comfortable with leading a group, friendly and able to use a cross section of software proficiently. MUST be an Iowa Youth Tour alumni.
- Des Moines/Washington, DC – June 17-23 (orientation the evening of June 17 in Des Moines
Tasks (the intern may be asked to help with the items below):
- Update blog
- Create/post short videos to create a “buzz” about the trip
- Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok posts
- Take photos
- Take some video
- Post photos each day to FB
- Upload pictures to SmugMug (in chronological order)
- Update blog (or find students to)
- General chaperone duties
- Help come up with individual awards for each student (certificates)
- Background or interest in marketing, communication, politics, history, event management or other related disciplines
- Strong communication skills
- Proficient with a variety of computer software programs
- Comfortable with using a camera and video camera
- Organized, with an ability to prioritize
- Creative and flexible
- Strong understanding of different social media platforms
- At least going into their second year of college (or equivalent age).
The term begins June 1 and ends June 30, 2023. This is a volunteer position. A stipend of $300 will be paid. All expenses will be covered for the successful candidate to participate fully in Youth Tour 2023.
To apply please submit your application to Shelly York, firstname.lastname@example.org (8525 Douglas Ave., Suite 48, Des Moines, IA 50322) by Nov. 15, 2022. A decision will be announced by Nov. 30, 2022.