2011 Annual Meeting - media advisory
Moving Forward headlines this year’s annual meeting of the Iowa Association of Electric Cooperatives, Dec. 1-2, 2011. Nearly 500 electric co-op representatives will meet in Des Moines to get the latest information on industry trends, perspectives on the state’s and nation’s economy and opportunities that come with increased global competition. Attendees include locally elected directors, managers and key staff from 42 electric cooperatives that, as a whole, provide electricity to approximately 650,000 Iowans in 210,000 homes, farms and businesses in each of Iowa’s 99 counties.
Key topics include:
- An Overview, Current Economic Conditions: Long-time advocate of free-market policies and supplyside economics, Stephen Moore, senior economics writer for the Wall Street Journal and commentator for CNBC TV, will share his views about the issues our nation’s economy faces.
- Last Man Down: Be inspired by Richard Picciotto, FDNY chief and highest ranking firefighter to survive the World Trade Center collapse on 9/11/01.
- An Update from Washington – Is there a Silver Lining or Good News: Kirk Johnson, senior vice president, government relations, National Rural Electric Cooperative Association, will talk about recent regulation and policy developments surrounding issues important to electric cooperatives.
- Debt, Global Competition and Iowa’s Future: Professor John Doggett, senior lecturer at the Red McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas, will talk about the challenges of globalization and explain why this is the best time in recent history to live and work in Iowa.
- A New Direction for Iowa’s Economic Development: Hear from Debi Durham as she approaches her one-year anniversary as head of the Iowa Partnership for Economic Progress.
- 2012 Presidential Candidates (invited) – Where They Stand: Candidates are invited to speak about their plans for ensuring reliable and affordable electricity throughout rural America.
- Venture Awards Presentation: The Iowa Area Development Group honors innovative companies that have a positive impact upon their communities.
When: Dec. 1-2, 2011 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. (Thursday) 8 a.m. – noon (Friday)
Where: Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel – 1800 50th St.
Spokespersons/Topics: A number of spokespersons will be available for interviews.
Please contact Amy Myers at 515-727-8945 (office) or 515-450-7545 (cell) to arrange an interview.
For More Information:
Amy Myers, communications manager
Ph: 515-727-8945 (office) 515-450-7545 (cell) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org