Youth Tour: June 17-24, 2021
We're looking for high school students who have a passion for government, leadership and service. Apply at your local electric co-op to experience the 2021 national Electric Cooperatives' Youth Tour of Washington, D.C. It’s an all-expenses-paid trip you'll never forget!
What is Youth Tour?
Iowa's locally owned electric cooperatives have been sending high school students to Washington D.C. every June since 1958! On the tour, students learn about electric cooperatives, American history and U.S. government and walk away with a greater understanding of their role as an American citizen. They participate in National Youth Day, visit with their elected legislators, and explore the sights around the nation’s capital. In Iowa, students apply for slots from their local electric cooperative. High school students with a passion for government and public service are encouraged to apply.
Approximately 40 high school students are chosen by local electric cooperatives from across the state of Iowa. Each cooperative sets its own selection criteria, so find your local electric co-op from the list below for more details. The Iowa students join with more than 1,800 students from co-ops around the country for the national Youth Tour in Washington D.C. in June.
Students are selected for this program by their local electric cooperative through the overall strength of the applicant. If you want to take advantage of this incredible leadership opportunity, contact your local rural electric cooperative or high school career center for additional information.
Why do electric cooperatives send students to Washington, D.C., each year?
Some of the things students will do and see on Youth Tour:
These co-ops accept Youth Tour applications:
- Access Energy Cooperative
- Allamakee-Clayton Electric Cooperative
- Butler County Rural Electric Cooperative
- Calhoun County Rural Electric Cooperative
- Chariton Valley Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- Clarke Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- Consumers Energy
- East-Central Iowa Rural Electric Cooperative
- Eastern Iowa Light and Power Cooperative
- Farmers Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- Franklin Rural Electric Cooperative
- Grundy County REC
- Harrison County Rural Electric Cooperative
- Heartland Power Cooperative
- Iowa Lakes Electric Cooperative
- Lyon Rural Electric Cooperative
- Midland Power Cooperative
- MiEnergy Cooperative
- Nishnabotna Valley REC
- North West Rural Electric Cooperative
- Pella Cooperative Electric
- Prairie Energy Cooperative
- Raccoon Valley Electric Cooperative
- Southern Iowa Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- Southwest Iowa REC
- T.I.P. REC
- United Electric Cooperative